Academic Faculty Panel with Former SPIRE Scholars
Five former SPIRE scholars returned to UNC Chapel Hill for a panel discussion with the current SPIRE scholars on April 1. The panelists included:
- Krystle McLaughlin, Ph.D.– (Professor of the Practice, Lehigh University)
- Omar Quintero, Ph.D. (Assistant Professor, Univ of Richmond)
- C. Dinitra White, Ph.D. (Associate Professor, NCA&T State University)
- Mitch McVey, Ph.D. (Associate Professor, Tufts University)
- Joe Thompson, Ph.D. (Associate Professor, Franklin & Marshall College)
SPIRE's current scholars learned from the panelists about their roles and responsibilities now as faculty at different types of institutions. The panelists shared successes and challenges about the academic job search process, how they established their independent research programs, strategies for balancing multiple teaching responsibilities, and involvement with service & committees.
These experienced faculty members reflected on their SPIRE experience and attributed SPIRE for establishing a strong foundation for their current success in navigating their academic careers. Unique outcomes from the former scholars included garnering grants from NIH, NSF, and foundations; establishing new mentoring and outreach programs; and integrating inquiry & evidence-based teaching approaches for enhanced undergraduate curriculum.
See biographies here: SPIRE alumni panel 2016